A Jew and a Gentile Discuss
#29 | Jewish Customs Uncovered – Your Questions Answered
Each week, here at A Jew and a Gentile Discuss, we receive emails giving us feedback, suggesting topics and asking questions. And we love it. So, keep ‘em coming.
They’ve looked through a bunch of questions and found several semi-related ones for Carly to put to Ezra to answer. Here’s what you’ve asked and what this episode answers:
- Are the Jewish holidays part of the Mosaic Law, and if so, is it a form of idolatry to observe them?
- How does a Jewish person explain away Isaiah 53?
- What is Ezra’s rationale for the statement, “Messianic Jews are not simply Christians”?
- Ezra, do you feel like you’re an exile in America?
- Do you believe all Jews are called to return to Jerusalem or just certain tribes?
- When did Jews stop sacrificing animals for forgiveness of their sins, and what do they do now?
- What does the phrase “one new man” mean?
Along the way
Along the way, Ezra touches on some helpful, clarifying bits of information, including:
- Identifying what “idolatry” means
- What it’s called when someone tells you, a Gentile Believer, that you need to keep the Mosaic Law
- The difference between a Jewish obligation unto obedience and an obligation unto righteousness before God
- A shocking bit of information about Isaiah 53 and Jewish Bibles
- The reason some Jewish people can read Isaiah 53 and not recognize it’s talking about Jesus
- What Paul means by “the fullness of the Gentiles”
- Biblical meaning of Paul’s teachings about there being no difference between Jew and Gentile
- What Jewish “chosenness” means and doesn’t mean
- An interesting spinoff quote based on John 3:16
- Insight into the meaning of the word “exile” when it comes to Jewish people
Words you might learn in this episode
Torah, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Sukkot, Chanukah, Purim, Minor Feasts, olam, Mosaic Covenant, Noahic Covenant, Judaizing, Zehra, Ashkenazi, Diaspora, Eretz Israel
Scriptures referenced in this episode
Romans 7:1–6, Leviticus 23:41, Acts 15, Romans 3:23, Isaiah 53 (whole chapter, especially 53:1, 5, 9–10), Psalm 16:10, Romans 9:10–11, Genesis 12:3, Deuteronomy 4:25, 27, Ezekiel 40–47, Revelation 11, Leviticus 17:11, Hebrews 9:22, 1 Corinthians 5:7, Revelation 13:8, Ephesians 2:14–16, John 17,
The only way we’re able to continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps.
Subscribe and Review
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts. Leaving a review will help others know to tune in too.
Share the podcast with people you know to spread the word about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Follow and engage with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.
Brought to you by Ezra and Carly of A Jew and a Gentile Discuss