A Jew and a Gentile Discuss
#34 | What Happens When You Die?
It’s the question that haunts everyone – or at least it should, right? What happens when you die? Believers in Jesus have a Scripture-given confidence that their eternity is secure. But what about Jewish people? What do they believe about the afterlife? Do Jewish people believe there’s a Heaven in the same way Christians do? In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly and Ezra talk about:
- Jewish beliefs about the afterlife
- What Jewish people say to comfort those who have lost a loved one
- Jewish burial customs
- Thoughts about Gentile Believers practicing Jewish mourning rituals
- Encouragement to Christians about talking with Jewish people about the afterlife
Along the way
Through the course of the conversation, you’ll also find out some really interesting things about:
- Why Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel block off their streets on the Sabbath
- The difference one letter can make – what a Jewish person means when they call Jesus “Yeshu” rather than Yeshua
- The Jewish idea of “the bosom of Abraham” and being “gathered to their fathers”
- How belief in a resurrection was not new to the New Testament
- Two insightful reasons why cremation is not common in Jewish culture
- The amazing significance of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead – seen only its Jewish context
Words you might learn in this episode
Torah, Le Chaim, Tikkun Olam, Shabbat, Mourner’s Kaddish, Yeshua, Yeshu, the bosom of Abraham, hashamayim, mayim, Adonai hashamayim, Shiva, sheva, Beersheva, Messianic Jews, Ruach/ruach, Elohim, olam habah, olam, Messianic miracle
Scriptures referenced in this episode
Psalm 27:13, Psalm 90:10, Psalm 69:28, Daniel 12:1, Revelation 3:5, Revelation 21:27, Romans 11:25–26, Genesis 1:9, Judges 2:10, Genesis 1:6–7, John 3:16, Ezekiel 37, John 11, John 11:25, John 14:6, Romans 3:23, Isaiah 53:6, Acts 4:12, Romans 1:16
We’re able to continue providing these engaging conversations because of listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps.
Subscribe and Review
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts. Leaving a review will help others know to tune in too.
Share the podcast with people you know to spread the word. Writing a review also helps others to learn about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Follow and engage with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback and send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.
Brought to you by Ezra and Carly of A Jew and a Gentile Discuss