A Jew and a Gentile Discuss
#35 | Jewish Things You’re Afraid to Ask About
You know you have them – questions about Judaism that you don’t feel comfortable asking your Jewish friends or family. Well, never fear – in this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly goes there for you. Give a listen as she asks Ezra the personal, the awkward and the curious things you want to know about Jewish customs. Ezra and Carly will cover:
- The kosher diet
- Jewish thoughts about tattoos
- The Ultra-Orthodox “look” – the beards, the hair, the tassels
Along the way
This is a fascinating discussion about Jewish things you may have thought seemed odd, or different. During the conversation, you’ll gain a deeper understanding about
- God’s laws making scientific sense
- His setting apart the Jewish people as His own
- Where the kosher tradition of never mixing dairy and meat comes from
- Why some Messianic Jews eat kosher while others don’t
- Why the eighth day for circumcision
- Where the name Hebrew came from
- What circumcision of the heart means
- What Ezra’s analogy of “concentric fences” has to do with Jewish people and the Law
- An encouragement to look deeper at the intention behind what may seem to be weird traditions of Jewish people
Words you might learn in this episode
Torah, kashrut, Yitzhak, Ebrit, chazaq, peiyes, peyot, tzitzit
Scriptures referenced in this episode
Exodus 23:19, Deuteronomy 9:6, Leviticus 11, Exodus 4:24–26, Genesis 17:10–14, Genesis 15, Romans 11:29, 1 Corinthians 7:17–24, 1 Corinthians 7:19, Deuteronomy 10:16, Leviticus 19:28, Romans 5:1, Romans 3:25, 1 Corinthians 5:21, Acts 15:1–29, Matthew 15:24, Leviticus 19:27, Numbers 15:37–41, Matthew 5:17, Romans 3:23, Hebrews 10:10, John 4:42
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know, let them in on these exciting conversations, and maybe spark some of your own discussions. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss also helps spread the word.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.
Brought to you by Ezra and Carly of A Jew and a Gentile Discuss