A Jew and a Gentile Discuss
#40 | Staying Jewish – Love and Marriage
Marriage. You become one with your spouse, but you each bring your own heritage, traditions, beliefs and faith into the relationship. How do you work out the differences and choose a unified path together?
In this episode of A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, Carly and Ezra dive into the subject of marriage with special guests Rabbi Joshua and Monique Brumbach, who are both Jewish Believers in Jesus and choosing to live a committed Jewish family life. Rabbi Joshua leads a Messianic Jewish congregation in the L.A. area, and Monique is the executive director of an international network of Messianic Jewish congregations. Together, they share about:
- What the idea of “from generation to generation” means to them
- Their understanding of the Bible’s instruction about intermarrying
- Complexities of intermarried couples, with one spouse Jewish and one Gentile
- Helpful advice to listeners in or considering a mixed marriage
And on the personal side, you’ll hear a bit about their:
- Jewish upbringing and how they accepted Jesus as the Messiah
- Dating experiences and how they met, and
- An interesting situation involving frozen shrimp
Along the way
Throughout this practical and often humorous conversation, you’ll also learn about:
- The concept of a covenantal identity given to Jewish people
- God’s call for them to a “weird way of life” and its importance
- Pressures Jewish Believers face from both Christians and Jews around them
- How the perception of something Jewish to begin with (faith in Jesus) changed so dramatically
- The “Jesus line”
- Intermarrying in the Bible, and Gentile women who committed themselves to the Jewish people
- How differences you think don’t matter before you get married can become conflicts later
- How Jewishness tends to become more important as you progress through life, not less
Words you might learn in this episode
L’dor v’dor, haderech, mohel, kiddish, keeping kosher, chametz, Sephardic, Askenazi, shalom bayit, kibitz
Scriptures referenced in this episode
The books of Ezra and Nehemiah
Want a Free Bag of Amazing Coffee?
Enter our monthly drawing at www.ajewandagentilediscuss.org, and you could win a free bag of some of the finest Ethiopian coffee in the world from Lost Tribes Coffee Co. Or text JG to 474747 to be automatically entered.
Do you like what you hear?
You know, the only way we can continue providing these engaging conversations is through listener support. If you like tuning in to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss, would you consider supporting the podcast with a financial gift? Any amount – small or large – helps. Thanks!
Want more discussions more conveniently?
You can subscribe to A Jew and A Gentile Discuss wherever you get your podcasts.
Sharing: It’s nice
Don’t keep us all to yourself! Share the podcast with people you know. Let them in on these exciting conversations, and spark some of your own discussions among friends. Leaving a review about A Jew and A Gentile Discuss will also help spread the word to others about the podcast.
Follow and Engage
Keep up with us by following and engaging with us on social media under the handle A Jew and A Gentile Discuss.
Do you have a comment or question?
We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us some feedback or send in your questions for us to consider for future episodes.
This podcast is a production of Jewish Voice Ministries International.
Brought to you by Ezra and Carly of A Jew and a Gentile Discuss